Pediatric Emergency Center at Beaumont
More than half of the children who are admitted to Beaumont Children's are seen initially at the Pediatric Emergency Center at Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak. A brand-new unit featuring patient and family-friendly private rooms and other special features is now open.
At the Pediatric Emergency Center, children receive excellent pediatric emergency care in an environment designed for the comfort and convenience of young patients and their families. Experienced staff members are on-site 24 hours a day, seven days a
week. Led by board-certified pediatric emergency medicine specialists, we offer the most advanced care for the ones who matter most.
Other features of the new Pediatric Emergency Center include:
- 16 private rooms that are twice the size of the rooms in the former area
- quieter environment for patients and families
- comforting artwork featuring animals from the Detroit zoo and paintings from a local artist
- self-serve pantry with complimentary drinks and snacks
- Child Life specialists to help ease children’s anxiety
- MRI and CT scanning inside the center, and point-of-care testing at the bedside
In Royal Oak and in the Pediatric Emergency Care area at Beaumont Hospital, Troy, we offer your family the experience and leading-edge technology to diagnose and treat any problem. Your family will benefit from the care of nurses with additional training and experience
in pediatric care and from special programs and spaces created with your child's comfort in mind. Our pediatric emergency care services are supported by Beaumont Children's specialists in nearly every pediatric and surgical specialty.
Our pediatric emergency physicians work closely with their colleagues throughout Southeast Michigan to ensure your family has access to our expertise no matter which Beaumont emergency center you visit.
And if your child needs to be admitted, you'll be right where you want to be — at Beaumont. The Beaumont Children’s inpatient pediatric unit is just an elevator ride away.
In an emergency, call 911. For less urgent concerns, contact your primary care physician.
Pediatric Specialty Care
Patients at all Beaumont emergency centers have access to the expertise of more than 80 Beaumont Children's specialists in nearly every pediatric subspecialty.
These pediatric subspecialties include:
Beaumont Children's specialists are supported by dedicated pediatric nurse practitioners, hospitalists and others who devote themselves to providing the highest quality care to patients from infants to young adults.
Verified Trauma Center
As the only Level I trauma center in Oakland and Macomb counties and since our Level II pediatric trauma center is one of the only such facilities in the state, the Emergency Center at Beaumont, Royal Oak is equipped to handle the most severe pediatric
emergencies and serves as a regional referral center for pediatric emergency care. Hospitals across Southeast Michigan and beyond transfer pediatric patients to Beaumont regularly, including via helicopter, when a more comprehensive level of care
Compassionate, Family-Friendly Care
Every effort is made to make each family's visit to the Pediatric Emergency Center as comfortable as possible. Many patients receive visits from Beaumont Child Life Specialists trained in various calming techniques and non-invasive medications are administered whenever possible. To assist in putting patients at ease, special areas of the center feature bright colors and child-friendly imagery.
Pediatric Emergency Care Services at a Glance
- Beaumont Children's surgeons are on-call 24 hours a day and are in the hospital within 15 minutes of a critically injured patient's arrival
- helipad is available at the hospital for patients arriving by helicopter
- doctors and nurses specially trained in trauma care
- diagnostic and testing equipment, including many technologies specifically designed for children, available immediately so treatment decisions can be made quickly
- trauma team ready when the patient arrives and remains with the patient throughout their entire hospital stay
Leader in Training
Because of the level of expertise provided by the Emergency Center, Beaumont, Royal Oak is a training center for physician residents studying pediatric emergency medicine and family practice. Not only does Beaumont train its own Beaumont
residents, but also those from other area hospitals.
Emergency Center staff members also offer their expertise by helping educate the community on various safety issues, including through Safety City, USA, a group of programs designed to educate children, teens, new parents and seniors on various safety