You will stay in your private suite from the time you arrive until you go home with your new baby. Most women who have a natural delivery are able to leave the hospital within 24 hours. During your stay, we encourage bonding by keeping your baby in the room at all times. Each suite is designed to make this as easy as possible, with a separate baby spa area equipped with everything needed to care for your baby in the room. You will receive one-on-one attention from a nurse who is available to answer your questions, offer instructions on feeding and help you adjust to your new baby.
Once you’re home, you are welcome to call one of our nurses, or your doctor, anytime during those first few weeks to ask important questions. If you’re a first-time mother, you will receive a follow-up call a couple of days after your return home.
Is natural birth right for me?
Many women are interested in having a more natural birth experience, and we encourage you to explore your options early in your pregnancy to see what’s right for you. However, a safe delivery for both you and your baby is our number one priority, so there may be some medical conditions or complications that require you to deliver in more traditional birthing suite, including:
- early term to late term (37 to 42 weeks)
- low-risk pregnancy
- complete natural childbirth preparation
- agree to be transferred to a traditional labor and delivery room in the Karmanos Birth Center if needed
- no natural childbirth preparation
- any condition for which continuous fetal monitoring is needed
- any circumstance for which the patient’s physician or caregiver does not deem natural birth appropriate
- desire/need for an epidural
- significant obstetrical or fetal complications or risk factors
- significant maternal medical conditions
Regardless of where you deliver, Beaumont’s specially trained staff will support your desire to have the most natural birth possible.
When you’re in labor
When you arrive, please park in the South Parking Deck and enter the hospital through the South Entrance. Proceed to the Karmanos Birth Center on the third floor. You and your family will be taken back to the Karmanos Center for Natural Birth upon arrival.