At the Shery L. and David B. Cotton, M.D., Family Birth Center at Beaumont, Grosse Pointe, you’ll receive individualized care in one of our 12 private labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum (LDRP) suites, where you will stay from arrival to discharge. The Cotton Family Birth Center provides a variety of services and amenities for extra comfort during the birthing experience:
- comfortable sleep chairs and a refreshment center for your birth partner
- all new bathrooms with spa-like finishes; some rooms for low-risk births include large, hydrotherapeutic tubs
- flat screen televisions, complimentary Wi-Fi and CD players with iPod docking stations for your personal music selection
- swaddlers for safe sleep and an infant-mother security system
- noise-reducing flooring, warm finishes, beautiful artwork and a pleasing color palate to enhance a calm, restful environment
- personal refrigerators and hair dryers for your convenience
- aromatherapy to help you relax and birthing balls to provide comfort during labor
- a well-rounded menu and personal delivery from your own room service
- lactation support services that have earned the designation of a Baby-Friendly® birth center by Baby-Friendly USA because of its high level of care and education for breast-feeding mothers and their babies
- post-natal care, such as access to our comprehensive parenting class offerings, breastfeeding and lactation support service and our award-winning Parenting Program
Natural birth suite
Beaumont supports your desire to have the most natural birth possible. Our newly renovated natural birth suite provides a supportive, home-like environment for expectant mothers looking for a safe natural childbirth experience. In addition to providing a large, private suite designed to enable a mind-body connection, we will work with you to ensure that you are empowered to be a part of your birth experience.
Some of the features offered for extra comfort during labor include:
- specially trained nurses who are well equipped to help mothers navigate natural childbirth in a safe and supportive environment
- holistic techniques to manage your comfort during labor including hydrotherapy, aromatherapy, and positioning aids such as birthing balls
- large hydrotherapy tubs for use during labor
- a designated baby care area, which allows your newborn to room-in with you at all times
- a warm, soothing design for a restful, home-like environment
- bathrooms with spa-like finishes and massaging shower heads
- cozy furniture including a sleep chair for loved ones who will join you during your stay
- flat screen televisions, complimentary Wi-Fi, a personal refrigerator, and a CD player with an iPod docking station for your personal music selection
If you plan to deliver in the natural birth suite, we ask that you discuss your plan with your physician or certified nurse midwife. They will help communicate your wishes and expectations to your care team. Women scheduled to deliver in the suite will also be encouraged to take our Natural Birth Workshop.
Is natural birth right for me?
Many women are interested in having a more natural birth experience, and we encourage you to explore your options early in your pregnancy to see what’s right for you. However, a safe delivery for both you and your baby is our number one priority, so there may be some medical conditions or complications that require you to deliver in more traditional birthing suite, including:
- early term to late term (37 to 42 weeks)
- low-risk pregnancy
- complete natural childbirth preparation
- agree to be transferred to a traditional labor and delivery room in the Birth Center if needed
- no natural childbirth preparation
- any condition for which continuous fetal monitoring is needed
- any circumstance for which the patient’s physician or caregiver does not deem natural birth appropriate
- desire/need for an epidural
- significant obstetrical or fetal complications or risk factors
- significant maternal medical conditions
Regardless of where you deliver, Beaumont’s specially trained staff will support your desire to have the most natural birth possible.
The most advanced obstetrical care
Beaumont’s comprehensive obstetric offerings span the pregnancy and childbirth experience from preconception care to parenting classes, from low-risk to high-risk deliveries.
- advanced medical care from leading obstetricians, gynecologists and pediatricians
- a state-of-the-art wireless fetal monitoring system to allow freedom of movement during labor
- a special care nursery for babies who need additional care or surveillance
- post-natal care, breastfeeding and lactation support service and an award-winning Parenting Program
Preparing for labor and delivery
While every labor and delivery experience is different, it’s helpful to be prepared and have an idea of what to expect when the day arrives. Beaumont offers a number of resources to help you prepare, from conception to delivery and beyond.
Beaumont offers comprehensive education and support programs for expecting parents, new parents, siblings and other family members. Some classes are even offered as an independent study online for those who are unable to make it in person.
When you’re in labor
For scheduled deliveries such as a Cesarean section or induction of labor, please park in the main parking lot in the front of the hospital (by Jefferson), enter the hospital through the Main Lobby and go to the Information Desk. Directions to the Cotton Family Birth Center will be given.
If you are in labor, please park in the emergency center lot (on Cadieux) and enter through the Emergency Center doors where you will be escorted to the Cotton Family Birth Center.
Thank you to Bella Baby Photography for capturing and sharing these Beaumont baby photos. All photographs are supervised and may not be considered safe sleep environments.