New advancements in cardiac surgery are being made every day,
and at Beaumont, we have a history of being on the forefront of some of these advances. We are leaders in minimally invasive heart valve surgery (MIVS). Some of the world's most advanced technology and most experienced heart surgeons are right here
Beaumont is a pioneer in the latest cardiovascular technologies and innovative, minimally-invasive techniques. By using smaller incisions for what traditionally has been open heart surgery, our surgeons reduce risk and recovery time. As one of the few
hospitals doing minimally invasive cardiac surgery, Beaumont stays abreast of the latest medical breakthroughs to give our patients the best care possible. We perform most of our aortic and mitral valve replacements with a small two to three-inch
incision instead of a sternotomy for your open-heart procedure. We perform minimally invasive aortic and mitral valve repair with a two or three-inch incision.
Minimally invasive procedures are the preference of most people we treat.
The following conditions can often be treated with minimally invasive procedures:
Minimally invasive heart surgeries performed at Beaumont include:
- Cardiac surgeons perform the following using a two- to three-inch incision:
- repair or replace the mitral valve
- replace the aortic valve
- repair or replace the tricuspid valve
- cardiac tumor or Myxoma removal
- atrial or ventricular septal defect closure
- patent foramen ovale repair
- Surgeons can perform the MAZE procedure in conjunction with MIVS to treat atrial fibrillation.
- We perform transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) and transcatheter mitral valve replacement (TMVR) to treat aortic stenosis or mitral valve regurgitation (respectively).
- Cardiologists perform MitraClip procedure to treat mitral valve regurgitation atrial septal defect repairs (ASD) and patent foramen ovale (PFO).
Benefits of minimally invasive valve surgery
Minimally invasive valve surgery offers many benefits over open-heart surgery, including:
- It promotes faster recovery.
- There are fewer potential complications.
- The hospital stay is shorter.
- You can return to your everyday activities sooner.
- The scars are smaller, and cosmetic results are superior.
- It’s the least invasive approach to valve surgery.
Find out if Beaumont can help
If you have been told you are not a candidate for open heart or valve replacement, talk to a Beaumont cardiac surgeon or cardiologist. We offer minimally invasive surgical options for many patients who have been told they cannot have open heart surgery
or valve replacement.