Vestibular rehabilitation can help with symptoms of:
- dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea, spinning or tilting
- balance or visual disruption with head motion
Typical diagnoses for vestibular rehabilitation include:
- vestibular neuritis
- benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)
- Meniere's disease
- bilateral vestibular dysfunction
- central vestibular dysfunction
Persons with this disorder may experience dizziness, spinning, decreased balance, jumpy vision, nausea and decreased postural control. This can result in secondary symptoms including decreased energy levels, frustration and anxiety. Most individuals recover from a vestibular disorder quickly because the vestibular system is very adaptable.
About Beaumont's vestibular rehabilitation program:Beaumont's vestibular rehabilitation program is designed to decrease dizziness and restore balance, strength and postural control, along with promoting an independent lifestyle. A team of licensed physical therapists who have completed specialized training in vestibular and balance disorders conduct the vestibular rehabilitation program.
Initial evaluation includes:
- a functional assessment to identify the symptoms and the activities contributing to your symptoms
- assess muscle strength, function, movement and flexibility
- assess eye/head coordination
- identify positions and/or activities that cause symptoms
- create an individualized program
Treatment includes exercises to:
- teach position techniques that help reduce symptoms
- improve balance to restore/improve functional independence and return to a normal lifestyle
- improve strength and endurance
- improve stability of vision during movement
- stabilize movement through eye-head coordination activities
A physician's prescription is required to initiate therapy.
Beaumont offers vestibular rehabilitation at many locations throughout Southeast Michigan:
201 Third St.
Belleville, MI 48111
4111 South Canton Center Rd.
Canton, MI 48188
2552 Monroe St.
Dearborn, MI 48124
| Farmington Hills
28100 Grand River Ave. Suite 210
Farmington Hills, MI 48336
| Grosse Pointe
17150 Waterloo St.
Grosse Pointe, MI 48230
| Lake Orion
1455 South Lapeer Rd. Suite 123
Lake Orion, MI 48360
28455 Haggerty Rd
Novi, MI 48375
15540 Beech Daly Rd
Redford, MI 48240
| Rochester Hills
1555 East South Blvd. Suite 120
Rochester Hills, MI 48307
| Royal Oak
- Beaumont Health Center
4949 Coolidge Hwy.
Royal Oak, MI 48073
- Beaumont Neuroscience Center
3555 West Thirteen Mile Rd.
Royal Oak, MI 48073
| St. Clair Shores
23715 Little Mack, Suite 200
St. Clair Shores, MI 48080
| Sterling Heights
44300 Dequindre Rd.
Sterling Heights, MI 48314
2707 West Jefferson
Trenton, MI 48183
700 Tower Dr. Suite 120
Troy, MI 48098
33000 Annapolis Ave. Suite 210
Wayne, MI 48184