The prevalence of overweight and obese children has tripled over the past three decades. This is a serious health issue.
Overweight children are at risk of developing:
What you can do to control your child's weight
By joining the Beaumont Healthy Kids Program, you and your child will learn behaviors to promote and improve lifelong health. This Beaumont Children’s Hospital program pairs you with a proven, multidisciplinary weight management team that creates strategies to benefit the entire family.
By helping young patients adopt a healthier lifestyle, this weight control program for kids has been proven in studies to improve the participant’s daily diet, increase his or her physical activity level and significantly decrease body mass index, or BMI, in the majority of children who complete the program.
Healthy Kids Program
Program includes medically supervised weight management by a medial provider in addition to a multidisciplinary team of professionals to help adolescents/teens achieve a healthier weight and lifestyle.
- Designed for children ages 12 to 18 who are overweight
- Participation from a parent/caregiver is required
- Three-month program includes:
- Month one - 60-minute baseline medical visit with a medical provider, followed by 30 to 60 minute visits with each member of the multi-disciplinary team (registered dietitian, exercise specialist and psychology staff member)
- Month two and three - begins with a 20 to 30 minute follow-up visit with a medical provider and continues with additional 30 minute visits with the registered dietitian and exercise specialist
- Individualized meal plans, physical activity program and lifestyle goals will be developed by our team with you and your child's input.
- Visits with the medical provider and psychology staff member are billed to your insurance. The initial program fee (due at first visit) includes three sessions with a registered dietitian and two sessions with an exercise specialist along with any program materials provided
- Initial program fee (due at first visit) includes baseline visits with the medical provider, registered dietitian, exercise staff member and psychology staff member, along with any program materials provided
- After completion of the three-month program, you can continue monthly medical provider visits for ongoing support, and also have the option to purchase additional visits with the registered dietitian and exercise specialist as needed
Beaumont Healthy Cooking Classes
Healthy, fun, hands-on cooking classes led by a registered dietitian include:
- Kids cooking classes - Cooking basics and nutrition education come together as children prepare every-day healthy meals and snacks that taste good. Register for classes »
- Cooking classes for scouts and other organized kids groups - A great outing for Girl and Boy Scouts Troops and other organized kids groups. Cooking basics and nutrition education come together as scouts/children prepare everyday
healthy meals or snacks. Classes can be tailored to accommodate earning badges.