The prevalence of overweight and obese children has tripled over the past three decades. This is a serious health issue.
Overweight children are at risk of developing:
What you can do to control your child's weight
By joining the Beaumont Healthy Kids Program, you and your child will learn behaviors to promote and improve lifelong health. This Beaumont Children’s Hospital program pairs you with a proven, multidisciplinary weight management team that creates strategies to benefit the entire family.
By helping young patients adopt a healthier lifestyle, this weight control program for kids has been proven in studies to improve the participant’s daily diet, increase his or her physical activity level and significantly decrease body mass index, or BMI, in the majority of children who complete the program.
Healthy Kids Program
A multi-disciplinary educational program that focuses on helping your child achieve a healthier weight and lifestyle.
- Designed for children ages 3 to 18 who are overweight
- Participation from a parent/caregiver is required
- 12 visits ranging from 30-60 minutes each. It is recommended that visits take place on a weekly basis, but can be flexible to accommodate your child's schedule. Visits alternate weekly between the following professionals:
- registered dietitian (four visits)
- exercise staff member (four visits)
- psychology staff member (four visits)
- Individualized meal plans, physical activity program and lifestyle goals will be developed with you and your child's input
- Health monitoring
- height, weight and BMI (body mass index) monitored throughout the program
- optional blood pressure an fasting blood sugar measured at program start and completion
- At the completion of the 12 visits, you may continue to follow-up with a registered dietitian, exercise staff member or psychology staff member for on-going support. There will be an additional charge for these visits.
- After the baseline visit, you have the option of doing parent-only visits and applying/teaching information learned to your child
- Clinical research has shown similar results with parent-only visits compared with child and parent together visits
- This may allow greater flexibility with scheduling appointments as you are not limited to working around school hours and your child's extracurricular activities.
Healthy Kids Medical Solutions Program
Program includes medically supervised weight management by a medial provider in addition to a multidisciplinary team of professionals to help adolescents/teens achieve a healthier weight and lifestyle.
- Designed for children ages 12 to 18 who are overweight
- Participation from a parent/caregiver is required
- Three-month program includes:
- Month one - 60-minute baseline medical visit with a medical provider, followed by 30 to 60 minute visits with each member of the multi-disciplinary team (registered dietitian, exercise staff member and psychology staff member)
- Month two and three - begins with a 20 to 30 minute follow-up visit with a medical provider and continues with additional 30 to 60 minute visits with the registered dietitian and exercise staff member
- Individualized meal plans, physical activity program and lifestyle goals will be developed by our team with you and your child's input.
- Office visits with the medical provider and tests, such as an EKG and/or blood tests, which may be included in the baseline medical visit, will be billed to insurance. Co-pays and deductibles may apply.
- Initial program fee (due at first visit) includes baseline visits with the medical provider, registered dietitian, exercise staff member and psychology staff member, along with any program materials provided
- Secondary fee includes three additional sessions with the registered dietitian and exercise staff member, which takes place during months two and three of the program
- After completion of the three-month program, you can continue monthly medical provider visits for ongoing support, and also have the option to purchase additional visits with the registered dietitian and exercise staff member as needed
Beaumont Healthy Cooking Classes
Healthy, fun, hands-on cooking classes led by a registered dietitian include:
- Kids cooking classes - Cooking basics and nutrition education come together as children prepare every-day healthy meals and snacks that taste good. Register for the following 2018 classes »
- Super Snacks
- July 24 - Rochester Hills
- July 25 - Canton
- Fall Fruits & Veggie Fun
- Sept. 11 - Royal Oak
- Sept. 25 - Rochester Hills
- Sept. 26 - Canton
- Healthy Holiday Treats
- Nov. 13 - Royal Oak
- Dec. 4 - Rochester Hills
- Dec. 5 - Canton
- Gardening and cooking classes for kids - Go from garden to table. Children plant seeds and then move to the kitchen to prepare a healthy meal that includes ingredients from their future crops.
- Cooking classes for scouts and other organized kids groups - A great outing for Girl and Boy Scouts Troops and other organized kids groups. Cooking basics and nutrition education come together as scouts/children prepare everyday healthy meals or snacks. Classes can be tailored to accommodate earning badges.