Yoga Therapy combines techniques of breathing, gentle movement and meditation in ways specific to an individual’s own need. Techniques are taught that are for each person to use as part of an individualized self-care regimen. Yoga therapy does not require the ability to do traditional yoga poses and can be done sitting in a chair.
Generally, yoga therapy is ideal for those with specific concerns that cannot be resolved in a traditional group class setting. It can also serve people who simply wish to heighten their involvement in their personal health and wellness and healing process.
Many people find the personalized one-on-one yoga therapy more satisfying than large yoga classes for the following reasons:
- it's centered on you - through an understanding of your goals, your medical history and your personal background, the yoga therapist designs and modifies a customized yoga therapy practice over a series of sessions. You will be provided with the tools and techniques specific to the enhancement of your own well-being and the reversal of discomfort.
- comfort - private sessions often feel more comfortable than traditional yoga classes because they are directed specifically to your needs. Being at ease helps lead to confidence in identifying personal goals and meeting objectives.
- detailed feedback - the nature of private, personalized yoga therapy sessions allows the yoga therapist to offer you feedback following each session, as well as time to listen and respond to your questions.
How Yoga Therapy can help
Applications of yoga therapy can help you with:
- stress management
- back pain
- structural, musculoskeletal issues
- side effects of cancer treatments
- promoting restfulness and relaxation
- weight management
- managing MS
- increasing energy, focus and concentration
- the prenatal experience
- pre- and post-surgery
- end of life grief management
What you can expect
Your yoga therapy session is a private exchange between you and your yoga therapist, who has advance training and experience in the clinical application of yoga.
Each yoga therapy session lasts one hour. Typically, a course of two to four sessions is recommended to begin.
Gentle Yoga is offered in a group class setting that is offered for a drop in rate of $10 per class. Yoga may reduce fatigue, increase strength and flexibility, decrease physical and emotional stress and contribute to a sense of inner peace. In the class postures will be modified to accommodate differing abilities and health needs.
Gentle Yoga classes are held in Royal Oak.