This type of student heart check is generally not included in the routine physical required before participating in school sports. The Beaumont Healthy Heart Check Student Heart Screening is designed for students ages 13 to 18. Younger children are not
typically screened because structural abnormalities including abnormal heart muscle thickening, which is the most common cause of sudden death in the U.S., do not become apparent until later in adolescence.
Here are some statistics on the Student Healthy Heart Check program since it began in May 2007:
- 19,162 screenings completed
- 2,003 needed some sort of follow up with a doctor
- 222 were advised to stop sports until they follow up with a cardiologist (many from conditions such as Long QT, Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) and other congenital heart conditions)
- 9 have been found with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, the most serious of all heart issues we are trying to detect
- 6,030 taught hands only CPR and AED awareness (started Sept. 2015)