This type of student heart check is generally not included in the routine physical required before participating in school sports. The Beaumont Healthy Heart Check Student Heart Screening is designed for students ages 13 to 18. Younger children are not
typically screened because structural abnormalities including abnormal heart muscle thickening, which is the most common cause of sudden death in the U.S., do not become apparent until later in adolescence.
Here are some statistics on the Student Healthy Heart Check program since it began in May 2007:
- 20,011 screenings completed
- 2,089 needed some sort of follow up with a doctor
- 225 were advised to stop sports until they follow up with a cardiologist (many from conditions such as Long QT, Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) and other congenital heart conditions)
- 9 have been identified and then later confirmed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- 6,942 taught hands only CPR and AED awareness