Level One Trauma Care
You do have a choice when it comes to trauma care: Beaumont. With the only accredited level one trauma center in Oakland and Macomb counties, the trauma team at Beaumont, Royal Oak, has the knowledge and equipment to take care of the most seriously injured patient. Because of the level one status of Beaumont, trauma guidelines are set in place to care for seriously injured patients.
- Surgeons are on-call 24 hours a day and are in the hospital within 15 minutes of a critically injured patient's arrival
- A helipad is available at the hospital for patients who need to be airlifted to Beaumont
- Air medical transportation, LifeFlight of Michigan, a twin-engine EC135 helicopter, will transport patients within Michigan and northern Ohio
- The doctors and nurses are all specially trained in trauma care
- Diagnostic and testing equipment are made available immediately so treatment decisions can be made quickly
- The trauma team is ready when the patient arrives and remains with the patient throughout their entire hospital stay
- Family support is available including pastoral care and social workers
- A trauma registry is kept so improvements can be made to the local trauma system and to aid in trauma research
Attaining the level one designation means Beaumont not only takes care of injured patients, but also provides injury prevention programs to the community. Members of the trauma team travel to schools and community events to teach bike safety, the dangers of drinking and driving, child seat safety, injury prevention and many more topics.