There are many types of urological cancer . Some types can be experienced by both men and women, such as bladder and kidney cancer, and others are gender specific, such as testicular cancer for men and vaginal cancer for women.
Types of urological cancers include:
- Prostate cancer is found in the prostate gland, which is a walnut-shaped gland that produces prostate fluid (which is a part of semen). It is one of the most common types of cancer in men, and it is usually quite treatable. There are screenings for prostate cancer, but not all doctors recommend those screenings for all men.
- Testicular cancer is cancer that develops in one or both testicles. Most often, it is confined to one testicle. This type of cancer is more common in younger men, but it can occur at any age. Testicular cancer is a highly treatable cancer that can usually be cured. Men are encouraged to perform testicular self-exams every month to check for lumps or changes in the testicles.
- Penile cancer is found on the skin or within the tissues of the penis. Most penile cancers are squamous cell cancers that are found on the foreskin or the glans (head) of the penis. When penile is found early, it is usually curable.
- Bladder cancer is cancer that affects the bladder. It most often occurs in older adults, but anyone can get bladder cancer. The most common place for bladder cancer to develop is in the cells that line the bladder. Fortunately, most bladder cancer is found early because it tends to cause blood in the urine. When it is found early, it is highly treatable.
- Kidney cancer is cancer of the kidneys. Renal cell carcinoma is the most common type of kidney cancer in adults.
- Adrenal cancer , also known as adrenal gland cancer,is cancer of the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands rest on top of the kidneys. There is one adrenal gland on each kidney.
Learn more about urological cancers
- Signs & symptoms of urological cancer
- Diagnosing urological cancer
- Treating urological cancer
- Urological cancer support
Learn more about our cancer care at Beaumont