Beaumont’s Atrial Fibrillation Clinics offer specially trained, multidisciplinary teams that provide the most advanced, innovative treatment approaches, including:
- Medications – this is the first line of treatment for a-fib. Your physician will determine the best medication for you to control the heart rate, prevent episodes of atrial fibrillation and prevent stroke based on your individual risk.
- Electrical cardioversion – a procedure in which an electrical shock restores normal sinus rhythm
- Pulmonary Vein Isolation (PVI) – a procedure where pulmonary veins are electrically isolated from the rest of the atrium, preventing the triggers of atrial fibrillation from taking over the heart.
- WATCHMAN™ implant – very effective in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation as an alternative to long-term warfarin medication
- MAZE procedure – an effective surgical treatment for a-fib that also aims to electrically isolate the pulmonary veins from the rest of the atrium. Patients are candidates for a MAZE procedure if their irregular heartbeat cannot be treated with medication or other nonsurgical approaches.
- robotic MAZE: five tiny incisions
- traditional open heart maze surgery
- AV node ablation– another option for patients who are severely symptomatic, but are not good candidates for alternative procedures. A pacemaker is always inserted after this procedure.
- Pacemaker implantation – very effective in patients with very slow heart rates and difficult to control atrial fibrillation.