What is bariatric surgery?
Bariatric surgery includes a number of procedures that modify the gastrointestinal tract to help you lose weight. More than 98 percent of Beaumont patients who have bariatric surgery do so using a minimally invasive approach.
Beaumont surgeons perform the following procedures:
- Gastric bypass – The stomach is divided into two sections, forming a small pouch of less than one ounce that serves as the “new” stomach. This limits the amount of food intake. It also provides a feeling of fullness and satisfaction with smaller portions. A part of the small intestine is also bypassed limiting food and caloric absorption.
- Gastric sleeve – About 85 percent of the stomach is removed so that it takes the shape of a tube or sleeve.
- Lap-Band® – An adjustable band is placed around the top portion of the stomach. The band can be tightened like a belt to form a small pouch that serves as a new, much-smaller stomach, essentially restricting the amount a person can eat before feeling full.
Who qualifies for bariatric surgery?
Potential candidates for bariatric surgery include:
- individuals with a body mass index, or BMI, more than 40
- individuals with a BMI between 35 and 40 who also have obesity-related conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease or osteoarthritis
- men who are 100 pounds over their ideal body weight or women who are 80 pounds over their ideal body weight
What are the benefits of bariatric surgery?
When combined with a comprehensive treatment plan, bariatric surgery may often act as an effective tool to provide you with long term weight-loss and help you increase your quality of health. Bariatric surgery has been shown to help improve or resolve many obesity-related conditions, such as Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and more. Frequently, individuals who improve their weight find themselves taking less and less medications to treat their obesity-related conditions.
Many Beaumont services for bariatric surgery are covered by insurance. More information on what you will pay here.
How does Beaumont’s bariatric surgery program work?
Because we realize that your chances of achieving and sustaining a healthy weight are significantly better with support, Beaumont offers a comprehensive program for bariatric patients. Led by a physician who specializes in obesity medicine, the program includes licensed psychology staff, exercise physiologists and dietitians to help you during your weight loss journey.
Our offerings include:
- Bariatric Support Group, an educational support program for patients who have had or are planning to have bariatric surgery
- cooking classes
- lifestyle and nutrition education classes
- on-site Healthy Living Store, for convenient purchase of supplemental products to assist in bariatric surgery recovery
Take the first step in your bariatric weight loss program by attending a free informational seminar where you’ll meet our staff and learn more about what the program can do for you.
Watch the bariatric surgery program seminar online or reserve your in person spot by calling 888-899-4600 and visiting our classes page to register.