Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak has the busiest Emergency Center in Michigan and one of the busiest in the country. For this reason, the hospital has invested $120.8 million in an expansion that will open in September 2017, and for the renovation of the existing space that will open in 2018.
Health care needs are often unanticipated and access to emergency care is imperative for those living in the communities we serve. It is estimated that 44 percent of hospital visits begin in the Emergency Center. Over the past decade, the number of patients receiving care in emergency centers has increased by 22 percent.
When the project is completed, the Emergency Center at Beaumont, Royal Oak will comprise more than 125,000 square-feet, nearly doubling its current size. It will feature:
- 117 private beds; 16 semi-private beds; and four trauma bays
- separate intake and prompt care area to significantly reduce wait times
- dedicated pediatric and behavioral health areas
- expanded waiting space with an emphasis on comfort
- two on-site imaging facilities
- café offering fresh food and beverages
- helipad on the roof with direct access to the trauma unit below
- latest in communications technology
Although the hospital has made a significant investment in the Emergency Center, philanthropic support is necessary to develop and grow programs that will directly impact patient care. In particular, providing Emergency Center staff and residents with opportunities to refine their skillsets and broaden their areas of expertise is crucial to maintaining a state-of-the-art emergency care facility.