Beaumont is among the nation’s best hospitals for cancer care, and Beaumont, Royal Oak, has been named a Blue Distinction Center for head and neck cancer by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Blue Centers are selected in collaboration with the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), leading clinicians and professional organizations. These honors, as well as being chosen as a Community Oncology Research Program, demonstrate our dedication to providing effective and timely diagnosis, pioneering treatments, and compassionate care to our patients with head and neck cancer.
Cancers of the head and neck affect crucial organs and glands, including:
Common cancers include:
- oral cavity – tongue, gums or gingival, cheeks (buccal mucosa), floor of the mouth
- oropharynx – base of tongue, tonsils, soft palate, voice box (larynx), true vocal cords (glottic larynx), supraglottic larynx – epiglottis, cartilage of the vocal cords (arytenoids), false vocal cords, subglottis
- hypopharynx – pyriform sinus, back part of the throat
- nasopharynx – area behind the nose, above the soft palate that connects with nasal passages
- glands – parathyroid, pituitary, thyroid