Beaumont's adult therapeutic recreation program enhances physical, emotional, cognitive and social domains for those living with potentially limiting conditions.
Leisure skill development includes adaptive sports and recreation, leisure education, leisure planning and community reintegration. Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists work as part of an integral team of specialized health professionals. Individualized treatment planning and training is provided. Adaptive equipment training and resources are also available. This therapy is designed to develop new forms of recreation and ways to participate in leisure activities enjoyed prior to an injury. This may involve return to pre-injury leisure pursuits.
Interventions utilized in our program include community re-integration, leisure skill development, leisure education and planning, and adaptive sports. Treatment may include, but is not limited to, the following activities:
- Golf/miniature golf
- Table/card games
- Health club assessment and program development
- Community Services - church, school
- Social activities - dancing, dining out, shopping, movies
- Hobbies - drawing/painting
- TBI (traumatic brain injury)
- SCI (spinal cord injury)
- CVA (stroke)
- Neuro-muscular disease
Most medical insurance policies do not cover this service. Coverage depends on individual benefits. Individuals may qualify for discounted services through cash payment or a scholarship fund. Treatment requires a physician's prescription.
- Promote health and growth in a rewarding and enjoyable manner
- Community-based functional outings
- Reduce the effects of illness or disability
- Increase independence
- Improve overall health and well-being