An ENG is a diagnostic test for patient with symptoms of vertigo, dizziness and imbalance.
What to Expect
The ENG consists of three parts:
- Watching lights
- Putting the patient in various head and body positions
- Warm and cool air stimulation in each air
The ENG can cause momentary dizziness, which usually subsides by the time the test is completed.
- 72 hours before the test, stop taking the following:
- Tranquilizers and antidepressants
- Medications for dizziness/motion sickness, such as Antivert
- Alcoholic beverages
Do not stop medications for:
- Thyroid conditions
- Cardiac conditions
- High blood pressure
- Two hours before the test, do not smoke, eat food or drink caffeinated beverages.
- Do not wear eye make-up.