Beaumont's Speech and Language Pathology program provides services for individuals experiencing Alzheimer's disease or other dementing diseases.
Because individuals go through several stages of change over time as the disease progresses, ongoing suggestions, strategies, and resources can help the person and family communicate better and learn how to work with each other in a more effective manner.
Caregivers will gain confidence in their ability to help their loved one and themselves cope with the ever changing dynamics of this disease. All will benefit from the support provided by our team.
Treatment is 1 - 2 times weekly for several weeks depending on the need of the person and the family. Sessions include the individual with dementia, and their spouse, child or any other caregivers. Additional family members are always welcome.
A physician’s referral is required.
The program has 2 phases:
- Phase I - A formalized speech, language, cognitive and memory diagnostic testing to help determine an individual’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Phase II - Sessions include suggestions and strategies, information and education, aids and resources and establishment of home goals.
Common Types of Dementia
- Alzheimer’s disease
- vascular or multi-infarct dementia
- frontal-temporal dementia
- primary progressive aphasia
- Lewy body dementia
For more information, please contact us at:
Beaumont Health Center
4949 Coolidge Highway
Royal Oak, MI 48073