Oncology services at Beaumont are dedicated to offering counseling, diagnosis and exceptional care to patients with colorectal cancer and their families. Survival rates for colorectal cancer patients treated at Beaumont are higher than the national average.
Also, Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, has been named a Blue Distinction Center for rectal cancer as part of a national program sponsored by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Specific treatment for colorectal cancer will be determined by your physician based on:
- age, overall health and medical history
- extent of the disease
- tolerance for specific medications, procedures or therapies
- expectations for the course of this disease
- your opinion or preference
After the colorectal cancer is diagnosed and staged, your physician will recommend a treatment plan. Treatment may include:
- colon surgery
- radiation therapy
- external radiation (external beam therapy)
- internal radiation (brachytherapy, implant radiation)