Teen eating disorders, including anorexia and bulimia, require a team-centered approach to treatment that includes a number of adolescent health specialists, including medical and mental health providers to guide your child and your family back to health. Additionally, including parents in a significant way in the recovery process hastens medical stabilization and weight restoration and may enhance long-term recovery.
Hough Center for Adolescent Health at Beaumont
At Beaumont Children's Hospital, we provide a complete spectrum of teen eating disorder treatment programs. Our experienced, caring interdisciplinary team includes:
- fellowship trained physicians
- nurse practitioner trained in pediatrics
- dietitian to provide nutrition recommendations and overcome barriers to implement them
- we collaborate with therapists locally who specialize in eating disorders and adolescents
The Hough Center for Adolescent Health uses a collaborative, "no blame" approach that involves you and your child, providing you with techniques to navigate the daily recovery process. Each adolescent is encouraged and empowered to take an active role in his or her recovery.
If you have questions or would like additional information, please call 248-594-3142.
The following caregivers participate in Beaumont's eating disorder program:
Services for Every Family
Other teen eating disorder recovery services provided at the Hough Center include:
- initial comprehensive medical evaluation of adolescents up to 20 years
- ongoing medical specialty management
- referrals for family-based and individual therapy
- medication evaluation and treatment
- collaboration with a team of providers (You may continue to see your current therapist/dietitian/psychiatrist.)
Did you Know?
Left untreated or undertreated, eating disorders in teenagers can lead to serious health issues, including:
- electrolyte disturbances
- interruption of menstrual function
- stunted growth
- low bone density, stress fractures and osteoporosis
- low heart rate and other abnormal heart rhythms