Discovering how Botsford General Hospital came to be requires exploring the era of its founder, Allen Zieger, D.O. During World War II, osteopathic physicians were not commissioned in the military. The war effort created a physician shortage that led to an increased demand for osteopathic physicians and hospital beds in Detroit. Back then, osteopaths were not considered for training or medical staff member privileges at allopathic hospitals.
So in 1944, Dr. Zieger purchased a vacant rooming house in Detroit to start his own 20-bed osteopathic hospital, Zieger Clinic Hospital. It became a fine osteopathic training institution, a tradition that continues today with Botsford's strong partnership with Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine.
To expand, Dr. Zieger purchased 15 acres in Farmington Hills on which to
construct a new 200-bed hospital. It would be named Botsford General
Hospital: its property was adjacent to the historic Botsford Inn, a
former stagecoach stop. Zieger's professional staff loaned $300,000 to
help construct the new hospital.