Construction has begun on the long-awaited and much-anticipated expansion to the Beaumont, Troy Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), with the project slated for completion in spring of 2022. Thanks to the generosity and support of our philanthropic partners
– including a leadership gift from Anthony and Marcia Battaglia – the Beaumont, Troy NICU will be expanded to more than 13,000 square feet, three times the size of the current space. This new facility will:
- Feature 25 beds, including private and semi-private rooms to ensure comfort and space for families to bond with their babies
- Offer state-of-the-art monitoring systems and technology.
- Create a welcoming family waiting room to provide a comfortable space when families are visiting.
- Designate a parent room to prepare families for successful transition home.
- The new facility will provide lactation support, including lactation consultants, human milk preparation room and a private pumping room.
- Large windows strategically surround the entire NICU, providing benefits for both infants and their families.
The updated NICU will offer an environment conducive to growth and healing for our youngest and most fragile patients. Staff will be able to care for 25 newborns, one at a time, in a centralized location, while offering enough space to welcome parents
and other loved ones to bond with and take part in their babies’ growth and healing process. This added space will make a significant difference as the number of patients needing NICU care has grown in recent years.
Additionally, the added space means that the NICU’s highly trained, compassionate staff will be able to work more effectively and efficiently, moving freely from patient to patient throughout the center. The space features improved lines of sight,
ensuring that physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses and other caregivers can keep these delicate newborns within view at all times.
Overall, this expansion will create an extraordinary environment of care for every precious baby in the NICU. Under the leadership commitment of Mario and Maria Moceri, who chaired the $7 million Neonatal Intensive Care campaign; and supported with a total of $4 million in philanthropic contributions from countless generous families in our community, including Battaglias; Children’s Miracle Network; and proceeds from the annual Beaumont Bocce Classic event, the long awaited NICU expansion will become a reality in May of 2022. We are grateful for the dedication and support from the community, including numerous families who expressed their thanks for the care provided by the tireless physicians, clinicians, and caregivers who cared for our tiniest patients with love and compassion.
With construction underway, efforts have now turned to raising $1.23 million to ensure that patients in the new NICU benefit from the very latest treatment technologies, to include items such as centralized monitors, OmniBeds, respiratory equipment for neonate resuscitation, and a neonatal echocardiogram.
We, at Beaumont Health, are grateful to the Battaglia family, as well as countless donors in our community who invested in this project and who have chosen to make a positive impact on our tiniest patients and their families. If you would like to join the effort to support our NICU equipment needs, please contact the Beaumont Health Foundation at 947-522-0100.