- American Eurocopter EC-135, equipped with the latest in ventilator and patient monitoring technology, as well as new emergency locator transmitters with upgraded military frequency
- a cruise speed of 140 MPH and a total range of 350 miles
- patients are loaded into the rear of the aircraft
- the flight team includes pilots, paramedics, nurses and mechanics
- the helicopter is based at Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak
- cabin capacity is six, including the pilot
- the tail rotor is enclosed (Fenestron)
Beaumont Health and PHI Air Medical, the Arizona-based company that owns and operates the helicopter and provides the flight and medical crew, have agreed to transition the air medical service to an independent program to broaden its reach and serve more patients and health systems across Michigan. LifeFlight of Michigan will remain the preferred air medical provider for Beaumont Health.
PHI is the leading air ambulance provider in the U.S. providing safe, reliable and advanced air medical services and outreach education to local communities and health care systems. Each year, they safely transport more than 30,000 patients each year, operating out of more than 65 bases throughout the country.