Beaumont Children's pediatric oncology and hematology specialists offer comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for
infants, children, adolescents and early young adults with nearly every type of childhood cancer or blood disorder. Our specialists have decades of collective experience and offer the most advanced approaches to treatment of these conditions, including
at the Children’s Skandalaris Family Center for Children with Cancer and Blood Disorders at Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak.
Opened in 2017, the center features seven exam rooms, a private family consult room, a family pantry, a shared infusion area and four private infusion rooms for patients. It also provides convenient access to proton therapy treatment, located in the same building.
In addition to the latest approaches and technology, Beaumont pediatric oncologists and hematologists are committed to offering each patient personalized care and unparalleled compassion in a convenient and friendly atmosphere designed with families in
Our specialists’ expertise includes diagnosis and treatment of:
- leukemias - commonly acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) or acute myelogenous leukemia (AML)
- lymphomas - commonly Hodgkin lymphoma, non-Hodgkin lymphoma or Burkitt’s lymphoma
- brain tumors - including juvenile pilocytic astrocytoma (JPA), medulloblastoma, ependymoma or glioma
- muscle, soft tissue and bone tumors - including rhabdomyosarcoma, Ewing sarcoma, osteogenic sarcoma and other less common sarcomas
- abdominal tumors - commonly neuroblastoma, Wilms tumor, hepatoblastoma and other less common abdominal tumors
- sickle cell anemia - including scheduled blood transfusion or exchange therapy if needed, and all anticipatory care such as transcranial Doppler and eye exams
- thalassemia syndromes - including scheduled blood transfusion
- benign blood disorders - including but not limited to all anemias (iron deficiency, hemolytic anemia), leukopenia/neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, pancytopenia
- coagulation disorders - such as von Willebrand disease, hemophilia or other factor deficiency
- thrombotic disorders - including comprehensive treatment and anticoagulation for blood clots; counseling for disorders such as Factor V Leiden mutation or antiphospholipid antibody syndrome
As an active member of the Children’s Oncology Group (COG), Beaumont offers patients aggressive, state-of-the-art treatment based on nationally approved research protocols. COG is
the largest cooperative pediatric cancer group in the world, providing care to 90 percent of children with cancer in the United States and fostering ongoing dedication to advancing care through research. Through COG, Beaumont is able to provide patients
access to the very latest approaches and cutting edge clinical trials. Cooperation among these institutions has led to the stunning statistic that today nearly 80 percent of children and adolescents diagnosed with cancer will become survivors.
Conveniently located on the campus of Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, our pediatric oncology and hematology program features a child-friendly atmosphere designed to meet the needs of both children and family members. Our multidisciplinary approach incorporates
medical, surgical and radiation oncology expertise.
The program includes a full-service outpatient infusion area where patients can receive transfusion and chemotherapy treatments, all under the supervision of our physicians. Care is delivered by specially trained nurses who are certified by the Association
of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses to administer chemotherapy and blood products. Our pediatric short-stay unit enables patients to finish infusions in the early evening hours if necessary, without having to stay overnight or return in the morning.
Many families find this service to be an incredibly valuable convenience.
We offer patients on-site support from the full spectrum of Beaumont Children’s services and facilities, including experts in pediatric intensive care, gastroenterology, infectious diseases, surgery, orthopedics, behavioral medicine, social work,
nutrition support services and pediatric radiology, as well as dedicated pediatric oncology pharmacists. We also collaborate closely with certified child life specialists, who aim to reduce patient anxiety and ensure comfort every step of the way.
The center also supports children and their families with:
- oncology-certified nurses
- dedicated pediatric oncology pharmacists
- certified child life specialists to reduce anxiety
- educational liaison
- nutrition experts